Sunday, May 08, 2011

3 years of hibernation,, what's new!

Three years since I last posted. Reading my last post reminds me that only those promises should be made which can be kept.

Continuing from where I left in my last post where I said:
"Quite a few things happened ,, I made some real good friends.. (one very special :)), had my first flight and that too for inter-continental!! .. quit my job., landed up in a new firm,, now going to CMU,, Carnegie Mellon University, USA."

The updates:
1. Biggest of all news is that I am going to get married to that special friend of mine in 2012 :). We both graced CMU's Pittsburgh campus in Aug, 2008. To share my CMU experience would take one dedicated post but for both of us it gave nice zipped version of how our lives would be together after marriage. Crazy schedule at CMU tested the best out of us, we had our fair share of ups and downs, laughs and tears. I believe we did well. It was great to have someone to boost you up out of your misery when chips were down. We decided to extend that experience for life and so it continues :).

2. With world economy in recession, US economy wasn't doing great. Year 2009 was important forme and while I worked hard for it, I was fortunate to land up internship in Qualcomm, Santa clara in Android engineering. It was a nice experience and the highlight was visit to Google campus. It simply has the best perks for its employees!

3. By the end of my third semester I had to get admitted to UPMC for a mix of complications. I was on bed for almost a week. Both my doctor sisters came to Pittsburgh to look after me and that made things a lot easier. I love my sisters!

4. I love and respect Prof. David A. Eckhardt too. My health issues had given me a tough time. To make matters worse it was in the semester when I had taken OS (15410), arguably the most feared course in CMU. I had a great time learning the internals of an OS and writing mine almost from scratch. Prof Dave really was very understanding and asked me to do submissions and write the final exam which I had missed, next semester. It meant more workload for next semester but it was the only option and the best one. I believe I fared well scoring a perfect 4.0 in the next semester courses and completing OS assignments, along with my TA duties and preparing for/giving interviews. Almost a load of 72+ units but it all ended well.

5. I joined Netapp, Sunnyvale, CA on June 14th, 2010 in the Scale out networking team. Till now it's been a wonderful experience. I have seniors who inspire you to become better and do your best. Everyone is ready to help and share one's knowledge. No wonder it's been there in top 10 of best companies list for the last 8 years. Cheers to Netapp!

No comments: